Export Controls

Frequently Asked Questions


Expand all

  • What is the difference between EAR99 and NLR?

  • What is a foreign national or a foreign person?

  • Who is a U.S. person?

  • What is a restriced party and how do I know if one is involved in my research or collaboration?

  • What is the "deemed export" rule?

  • What is not subject to the "deemed export" rule?

  • What constitutes the "use" of a controlled commodity?

  • Does the "use" of controlled lab equipment by foreign nationals constitue a "deemed export"

  • What are contractual restrictions?

  • If a license is required, how do I apply for a license?

  • What are the federal policies relating to ITAR restrictions in fundamental research?

  • What should I do if a sponsor begins providing export controlled information or technology to an award previously determined to be fundamental research?

  • When is a license from the Commissioner for patents under 35 U.S.C. 184 required?

  • What can you do if you believe there has been a violation?

Contact Us

Mailing Address:
Export Controls
University Hall, Suite 560D
51 Goodman Drive
PO Box 210567
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0567

Tara Wood
Director, Export Controls

Picture of Tina Bosworth
Tina Bosworth
Sr. Export Control Specialist

What to do fact sheet